Nifty way to make a superfood more indulgent, I actually had a dream about this cake, strangely enough. So I decided to try it 🙂
- Sponge Cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla essence
- Goji Berry Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh goji berries (available at Wellness Warehouse and most good health stores)
- 5 tablespoons castor sugar
- White Chocolate Mousse:
- 250g Lindt white chocolate (Cadbury’s DREAM chocolate works just as well)
- 2 cups of unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Goji berry Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon goji berry sauce that you have prepared
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix sugar and flour. In a small saucepan, melt butter, water and oil over medium-high heat. After boiling, pour over dry ingredients and mix. Add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and almond extract and mix thoroughly.
Pour into 10 X 15 greased cake pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until toothpick/fork comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
Goji berry Sauce:
Mix goji berries and sugar in small saucepan.
Cook for 3 minutes to 4 minutes until berries become soft. Puree mixture in food processor.
Strain through sieve and set aside.
White Chocolate Mousse:
In medium saucepan, melt chocolate and butter.
Separate the 3 eggs. Beat eggs yolks into saucepan and remove from heat. Let cool.
In large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a second bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
Fold whipping cream and eggs whites into the cooled chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
Goji berry Whipped Cream Frosting:
1. Mix whipping cream, sauce and sugar into a large bowl.
2. Cover and refrigerate with beaters for at least 30 minutes.
3. Remove from refrigerator and beat mixture until soft peaks form.
Cut cake in half. Place 1/2 cake on serving tray. Spread 1/2 of white chocolate mousse mixture over cake.
Spread goji berry sauce over mousse. Spread remaining mousse over sauce.
Place remaining cake on top of mousse.
Frost cake with goji berry whipped cream.
garnish with white Lindt balls and goji berries.